“What does Sunday Supper mean to you and your lifestyle?” asked my friend, Isabel. It means so much to me. It carries through to my lifestyle every single day. Actually, it carries through to almost every single meal. Sunday Supper is a special and treasured meal around the family table. Sitting at the table while enjoying a meal connects families and makes memories.
I was raised with eating meals at the table – breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The table was set and we all ate at the same time. I set the table now for each meal even when I am eating alone. It does not feel right to eat in the kitchen or on the couch. That is how Sunday Supper carries through to almost every meal for me. It should not be something only reserved for one day of the week.
Sunday Suppers were always special when I was a kid. My mom would prepare foods that took time to make and were a step above the everyday weeknight ones. It was a big meal and usually served early in the afternoon, around 2 or 3pm. She would make beef pot roast, roast chicken, baked ham, or for really special occasions rouladen or sauerbraten. The Sunday big meal has carried through to this day. I still think of Sunday as being the day to prepare foods that take more time and effort.
Sunday evenings were also special. We would not be much hungry after filling up mid-afternoon on a big meal. We still wanted a snack or something. Occasionally my dad would make blueberry muffins for our snack. He used a mix and at the time they were great. I can remember making those muffins when I was old enough. Look at what it lead to. Now I am baking from scratch.
I baked blueberry muffins recently to honor those memories. I have been looking for a good recipe for a while. I found one on the About.com website. I adapted it leaving out the cinnamon and nutmeg because I wanted a simple muffin where the blueberry flavor shines. I also adapted it with my method of preparation.
Sunday Supper is important to a lot of people. Last Sunday it was the number one trending topic on twitter. The excitement is growing and even companies are noticing. Merrell is one of those companies. Merrell is a footwear and clothing company and their passion is outdoors. They are teaming up this week with the Sunday Supper Movement. I could not be more excited. My favorite shoes for walking are by Merrell. They are so comfortable it is like walking on clouds.
Merrell chose ten Sunday Supper bloggers to host a giveaway. I am thrilled to be one of the ten selected. My giveaway is a pair of Merrell Barefoot Life Delight Glove Wool Shoes. The shoes are a part of their Barefoot collection.
Here is how to enter to win. You must do both, #1 and #2, to have an eligible entry:
- Leave a comment below on what Sunday Supper means to you and your family – AND – with your twitter handle in the comment. Comment must be posted by 8pm Eastern time today (Sunday, July 29th).
- Join in the conversation during the live #SundaySupper chat on twitter 7-8pm Eastern Time today (Sunday, July 29th). Your tweet(s) must contain the #SundaySupper hashtag.
The winner will be chosen randomly from the eligible entries. Eligible entries will be assigned a number and the number will be selected using Random.org. The winner will receive a redemption code so he/she can order the shoes directly from the Merrell website (ground shipping included). Note: Giveaway open for United States residents only.
There are more opportunities to win. Remember there are ten bloggers with giveaways and each blogger has a different Merrell product for their giveaway. Be sure to visit each one to read all about what Sunday Supper means to each blogger, check out their recipe, and enter to win. Here are links to the ten blogs (including this one)
- Blueberry Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Korean Ribs – Alaska Camping Edition with MrsMamaHen
- Fresh Corn on the Cob by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hearts of Palm Salad with Avocado by Basic n Delicious
- Shallot BBQ Shredded Beef by Juanita’s Cocina
- Taking #SundaySupper Outdoors With a Fun Picnic…Featuring Spicy Pinto and Black Bean Salad with Roasted Corn and Avocado by The Weekend Gourmet
- On Top of Our Game with Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars by The Watering Mouth
- Chicken & Dumplings Around the Campfire by Daily Dish Recipes
- Wine & Food Festivals; a lifestyle the whole family can enjoy! by Wine Everyday
- Outdoor Grilling Filipino Rice Cakes in Coconut & Banana Leaves by The Queen’s Notebook
The Sunday Supper fun continues. Take a look at these wonderful stories and recipes for this event:
- Embracing Old Family Traditions while creating New Ones ~ Enchiladas de Chile y Ajo by Girlichef
- The Embassy´s Nut Crescents by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chicken Curry Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Prosecco Sangria by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Bringing #SundaySupper to All by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey Mustard Baked Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- S’mores Brownies: Desserts Make #SundaySupper by Mama Mommy Mom
- Tandoori Salmon Rolled in Whole Wheat Couscous by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Macaroni with Spinach Pecan Pesto-Enjoying by Soni’s Food for Thought
- Southwestern Chicken Wraps Fam Friends Food
- Ahi Tuna Salad Family Style Family Foodie
- Wines For The Foods That Move You ENOFYLZ
Join the the celebration each Sunday. We start at 3pm ET by tweeting, pinning, and showcasing recipes and food photos. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and share yours too. The live twitter chat starts at 7pm ET. Take a look at and follow our Pinterest board too.
Special thanks to Merrell for joining in Sunday Supper today. You can learn more about Merrell by visiting their website and following them on twitter (@merrelloutside) and liking their facebook page.
Disclaimer: I was selected by Merrell to be one of ten bloggers hosting a giveaway for this event. I received a $100 gift certificate for Merrell product for my own use and the giveaway product redemption code. I was under no obligation to give a positive review of Merrell or their products. All opinions are my own unless otherwise stated or contained within a guest post.