My husband’s birthday is this week. I decided to bake one of his favorite treats; peanut butter cookies. He loves peanut butter and all foods with peanut butter; cookies, cake, ice cream, pie, etc. I love it too. I will eat it by the spoonful as a snack. A spoonful of peanut butter is even better with chocolate chips on top. But that is a different subject, or post, and this one is about peanut butter cookies.
These cookies have just the right texture and are not flat and hard or crunchy. So many peanut butter cookie recipes come out too dense for me. I prefer a softer homemade cookie.
The original recipe is from the Pillsbury The Complete Book of Baking recipe book published in 1993. The original recipe called for chunky peanut butter and butterscotch chips which I substituted creamy peanut butter and peanut butter chips. It is a simple recipe and I use a handheld mixer. No need for a big countertop mixer but you can use one if you prefer.
No rolling or cutting dough is involved. All you have to do is shape the dough into balls and flatten with a fork dipped in sugar. This will give them the traditional peanut butter cookie look with the crisscross pattern on top. Keep a good watch on the cookies and do not bake too long. Take them out of the oven when they are lightly browned.
What is your favorite cookie? Let me know and it could be a future post. Check out my Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Pound Cake and Baked Peanut Butter Pie for more peanut butter recipes. Oh, and I recently updated this post with new photos. Here’s the original one back from 2011:
- ½ cup granulated sugar, plus additional for topping
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick liner.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar, brown sugar, butter, and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg. Beat to combine.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture and mix well (until dry ingredients are moistened). Stir in peanut butter chips.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Flatten balls slightly with a fork dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Do not over-bake. Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.